Adding meaning to life is not exactly a recipe which can be cooked with exact ingredients. Every human being has a different perception and attitude towards life. But human psychology does have some things common across all human beings and so there are steps which can help you in finding out the purpose of life.
- Contemplate your beliefs
Adding meaning to life demands that you look a little more deeply into your beliefs. Religion doesn’t make a difference. It can be Christianity or any other religion, but when you find that there is something which has a higher power in this universe than all creatures on earth, the purpose of life starts becoming clearer.
Make a clear distinction between good and bad in your mind. And what Human nature is all about. Only when you have discovered yourself can you do anything to add meaning to life.
- Assess your values
What is it that you value most highly in your life? Is it money, or is it love for people? Is friendship more important to you than love or is it the other way around? Where does your family stand in your life? Once you have your priorities cleared up, you have an easier path to discovering the purpose of life.
- Identify your purpose
Once you have a few things sorted out, such as what is more important to you in life, you may find that you are now not only able to define yourself but also to add meaning to life. With a sense of purpose in life and a firm distinction on who you are, you may be able to lead your life in a much better and purposeful manner.
- 6 dimensions of wellness
The following six dimensions also help in finding a purpose of life.
- Interacting with people, finding a place for yourself in the society, doing something for others and all the while not losing your true self.
- Discovering the Higher Power or Higher Authority, brings peace and purpose in your life too. You can do that by delving deeper into your religion or taking Yoga Classes.
- The pursuit of knowledge not only polishes your perception but also broadens your view and gives you a higher purpose of life. This dimension is called the intellectual wellness.
- Environmental wellness brings you closer to your surroundings and Mother Nature. Activities like gardening bring certain calmness to the soul.
- Physical wellness is directly related to fitness of the body which can be achieved through exercises and healthy diet.
- Meditation improves your emotional wellness and the ability to cope with stress.