This step-by-step guide will show you how to create your own spa day at home. A day at the spa can be a wonderfully relaxing experience, but unfortunately it usually comes with a hefty price tag. Read on for some ideas of skincare goodies you can make yourself that are not only easy on the purse (most of these items can be found in your kitchen cupboard), but are also quick, natural and skin-nourishing – plus, we guarantee they will make you feel like a million dollars without the price tag.
How to Have a Spa Day At Home
Step 1. Set the Scene
It’s important to set the right atmosphere for your spa day at home, so light a few candles if you have them and dot them around for some real spa ambience.
Step 2. Scrub A Dub-Dub!
Get in the shower and give your body a good scrub. Many companies sell sugar scrubs (sometimes at exorbitant prices) but they can be made easily at home. Here’s one of our favourites – it works really well to get rid of all those dead skin cells.
Supremely Sexy Sugar Scrub
- 225g brown sugar
- 4oz olive oil
- 4oz honey
- Simply mix the ingredients together well and scrub your body until you’re lovely and soft. This scrub is safe to use gently on your face as well.
Step 3. Apply a Hair Mask
Here are a couple of masks that will hydrate and nourish your hair. Take your pick!
Avocado Hair Mask
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Olive Oil Mask
- 200ml olive oil
- 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
Whichever mask you choose, just mix the ingredients together in a bowl and apply to your hair (your hair doesn’t need to be wet). Then wrap a towel around your head and keep the mask on while you do the following.
Step 4. Have a Bath!
An essential part of any respectable spa day at home is a decadent bath. Here are a couple of lovely ones to choose from, both of which will leave you feeling relaxed.
Lovely Lavender-Honey Soak
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 8 tablespoons of honey
- lavender essential oil (about 15 drops)
- Simply pour the ingredients into a bath of warm/hot water and use your hands to mix. Then just slip in and relax…
Epsom Salt Energizing Bath
This doesn’t sound very sexy, but it has a wonderful rejuvenating effect on the body. Add a couple of handfuls of Epsom salts and a few drops of your favourite essential oil (rose, lavender and geranium are excellent choices). Mix, and enjoy! Bathe for 20 minutes or so, then pop back into the shower and wash off your hair mask. Get back into your robe, then it’s on to your face!
Step 5. Apply a Face Mask
Before you do this step, make sure you cleanse your face. If you don’t have a cleanser, both coconut oil and olive oil work wonderfully for this job; we prefer the smell of coconut oil so we recommend that over the olive oil (unless you don’t mind smelling like a Greek salad!). Either way, rub the cleanser vigorously into your skin, rinse off and apply a mask. Here are three ideas – pick the one for you based on your skin type. Eggcellent Egg Yolk mask for Irritated/red skin
- 2 eggs yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- Separate the eggs and discard the whites. Add the water to the yolks and whisk until frothy. Apply to your face, avoiding the delicate eye area (TIP: if you have a foundation brush, they are wonderful for applying face masks! Just make sure you clean it well first).
Gorgeous Greek Yoghurt Mask for Acne
This one is easy! Simply slather your face with Greek yoghurt (preferably full fat). It’ll make your skin feel hydrated, plus the lactic acid in the yoghurt will help tackle any acne.
Happy Honey Mask for Dry Skin
- 1 teaspoon of mushed-up avocado
- 1 teaspoon plain yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon honey (preferably raw or local)
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl, then apply to your face. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes, or while you do the next two steps. Your skin will feel like it’s had a lovely drink of water after using one of these masks!
Step 6. Make Those Lips Sweet
This is a good time to apply a little lip scrub and make your lips lovely and soft. Here is a super simple recipe that will get rid of dead skin, plus leave your lips with a healthy dose of moisture – something that is much needed at this time of the year!
Sugar Lips Scrub
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon honey (preferably raw or local)
- Simply mix the two ingredients together in a small bowl until you have made a paste. Using your fingers, apply the paste to your lips and massage in a circular motion for about 2 minutes. Et voilà! Gorgeous, kissable lips, just in time for the mistletoe!
Step 7. Show Your Feet Some Love!
On to the last step, but one not to be omitted! Our feet bear the weight of our body every day and they deserve a treat. Here is a gorgeous, minty recipe that will leave your feet feeling refreshed – a perfect finish for your spa day at home!
Minty Magic Foot Massage
- 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil (coconut oil works well too)
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of peppermint essential oil
- Mix the ingredients together then apply to your feet, one at a time. Massage the mix into your feet for about 2 minutes on each side and relish that refreshed feet feeling! Pop on some socks, take off your face mask if it’s still on and you’re done!
By now you’ll be feeling lovely and relaxed, and we hope that you’ll also feel encouraged to take time out for yourself again in the future. A day spa at home can be just the thing to show yourself some love and take some time to pamper your body AND soul!
How to Have a Spa Day At Home Save. This step-by-step guide will show you how to create your own spa day at home.